Active Writers is a new and exciting series covering Years 2 to 6, designed to help children become more competent and confident writers. It provides teachers with a wide range of texts in a variety of genres: fiction, non-fiction and poetry. An exemplar text for each genre is accompanied by an easy-to-follow lesson plan with differentiation advice.
Active Writers follows a structured approach:
- Children are first guided to access the features of the text, recognise the writing skills involved and practice important aspects of language
- It is then the children's turn to write in the specific genre. Responding to a related assessment task, learners plan their writing by following the guide supplied.
Each book contains:
- 12 fully-planned lessons
- An exemplar text for each genre
- Independent writing opportunities
- A self-assessment checklist
- Teacher-pupil discussion producing a record signed by both.
A CD containing a differentiated writing frame for a lower level of ability, the texts and additional resources is supplied with each book.